Skip to main content

World Doula Week

Today kicks off World Doula Week, a celebration of doulas all around the world. This year's theme is "Doulas make a difference" and I'm here for it! Over the last seven years, I've been blessed to work with more than seventy families. Many stick out in my mind and have left a special imprint on my heart. I truly hope I've made a difference, as I continuously strive to leave memorable impressions on the families I care for. 




What is a Doula?

A doula, translated from the original Greek language, means "a woman who serves". She serves families in the birth and postpartum period by providing evidence-based information, resources, emotional and physical support, while "mothering the mother" as she transitions into motherhood. 


What services do they provide?

In 1969 American Medical Anthropologist, Dana Raphael coined the word "doula" as a woman outside the family who tenders the new mother, so she can successfully breastfeed. Her book The Tender Gift: Breastfeeding so beautifully describes the process of becoming a mother, called "matrescence" This book is one that I hold dear and it has become a model of care for me as a Postpartum Doula. Although it was published in the 70s and is now out of print, I resonate with it so much and love lending it out to my clients from time to time. So many feelings, emotions, and hormonal changes happen during the birth and postpartum period and it's incredibly important for women to be supported and nurtured during this sacred phase. However you chose to define your doula work, know that you are valued as you pour your heart and passion into the lives of families. Keep doula'ing your thang! 


I currently serve Houston, Tx and surrounding areas, offering postpartum doula support, lactation visits (both in-home and virtual) and gentle sleep coaching. You can follow my doula journey > here and if you would like to inquire about my services please fill out my contact form > here

Happy World Doula Week! 

-Katie Newby






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing the Journey: Becoming a Postpartum Doula

A Guide to Becoming a Postpartum Doula  For many women, welcoming a new life into the world is a miraculous and transformative experience. The birth of a baby marks the birth of a mother. Across diverse cultures globally, the postpartum period, also known as matrescence is a time of transition in nearly every facet of a woman's life, as beautifully noted by Kelsey Borresen in Huff Post. It holds profound significance, casting a sacred light on a woman's journey. As a postpartum professional, your role is crucial in supporting her. This blog post will guide you on how to embark on the rewarding journey of becoming a postpartum doula, providing holistic care and empowering mothers on their breastfeeding journeys. Understanding the Role of a Postpartum Doula: A postpartum doula is a trained professional who extends physical, emotional, and informational support  to mothers during the postpartum period. Beyond the essential newborn care, your role encompasses aiding a mother in a

Postnatal support across the pond..

Last year, I had the pleasure of connecting with Vickie Bowles, a UK baby nurse and founder of The Baby Academy , on LinkedIn. Our shared perspective on sleep training led us to a Zoom call and the idea of co-writing a blog post on postnatal support in the first ten days at home for new parents in the UK and US.   In the UK and US, postnatal support can vary greatly, but there are some common themes when it comes to providing support to new parents in the first ten days at home. Here are five top tips for postnatal support:   Take care of yourself: While it's easy to focus all of your attention on the baby, it's so important to remember to take care of yourself too. Make sure you're getting enough rest, nourishment, and support. This may mean asking for help with household chores or getting some additional support from friends or family.   Get to know your baby: Each baby is different and has their own unique needs. Take the time to bond with your baby and learn their cues

Navigating my path to becoming a Postpartum Doula: My personal experience

When I graduated high school, I thought I had my future mapped out. I had always been fascinated by the beauty of pregnancy and believed that becoming an Ultrasound Technician would be the perfect career for me. However, as I began my studies to become a Medical Assistant, I discovered my true passion for patient care and nursing. I had chosen the medical assisting program as a steppingstone to a sonography career, but it ended up being the starting point for a new journey.     After completing my program, I gave birth to my baby girl and made the decision to put my career on hold to focus on being the best mother I could be. I took on a live-in nanny position while my husband was stationed overseas, and it was an incredible experience to be able to care for children while also spending time with my own baby. This experience reinforced my desire to help others and solidified my decision to become a postpartum doula.